Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Third Car - 1967 Opel Kadett Rallye


Car Number 3
1967 Opel Kadett Rallye - first car I ever bought new - what a POS, I bought it in Abingdon, VA after the tranny fell out of the Bel Air mom had given me (all my early cars were crap) then drove it to my next job at Studio Arena Theater in Buffalo where it made it through the lake effect winter, then through the summer of '69 on tour stage managing "Mame" in summer stock tent theaters with Elaine Stritch. I was a callow 22 year old and in those days, she was a roaring alcoholic psychopath about to make her big B'way comeback in "Company" if she could keep it together long enough - she sure fooled me, she's still going strong today. We were at the Cape Cod Melody Tent where I sat in the bar next door after the show one night and watched men walk on the moon, at the Cohassett Music Circus where we missed Woodstock, and the Beverly Music Theater and on Sept. 5 1969, after riding down the parachuting big top and folding it away for the winter, Regan Reddy and  I drove the Opal to NYC where it soon got sick and I eventually sold it to have no car in the Big Apple for awhile, after I had dropped a small fortune on tow away impound charges.

No comments:

Post a Comment